Sunday, April 8, 2012

Two strikes... how to attack

Ive been watching.. coaching, playing, umpiring and flat out admiring baseball for some time. I am a person that truly enjoys the different angles of the game. The perspective from the coaches, players, umpires and now from the dreaded umpires. The reason for this post is from the angle of a fan and as an ex pitcher..
I have noticed a somewhat newer fad for pitchers and catchers.. I am also guessing that the Coaches like this fad too since I didnt notice one adjustment during the course of 7 innings.
I call it, and blame it on.. Jason Varitek.
Over the last 5 years or so Mr Varitek would often ask for a high fastball.. he would ask for something around the letters from a pitcher that can throw 91-96mph.. My thought in this is that it is very necessary for two things to happen.. the pitcher better execute on location and with verocious velocity.. the reason why I say this is because all too often the pitcher at the High School Level doesnt execute on one of the two.. which brings me to my point.

At the high school level where pithcers are probably throwing from 75-85 mph (freshmen through varsity) they are typically lack one of two things.. location or velocity. So why are coaches asking their pitchers to execute a pitch that might be one of the more difficult pitches to execute. I watched a pitcher absolutely pitch his heart out yesterday. I watched him throw a decent slurve.. a decent fastball.. but this kid was getting through innings during a cold, blustery day against a school twice in size, while his team was making repeated errors in the field. He was busting his butt.. Like clock work, I would hear the coach instruct his catcher with some sort of verbal- "up and away".. time after time, he left it over the plate, and paid for it with drives out in the outfield that scored multiple runs.

I wish the catcher and pitcher would simply throw a fastball or curve a half a foot off of the outside corner like I was instructed my entire life. Remember, that batters previous and current coaches have always have told him - "protect the zone, anything close, you dont want to strike out".. I think it would be wise to take advantage of that statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment